Other Exchange Blogs

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Rostock pt 2.

WW2 bomb found in Potsdam last week? Yep and no big deal, just can't use a few streets for a couple hours, woopty do!

Anyways,  this weekend following a short week due to the German National Reunification Day.

Starting with our early 3 hour morning ride to Szczecin, Poland ( which, by the way, is so Americanized with KFC and Shell gas stations almost everywhere and of course McDonalds) to pick up furniture and then a 3 hour drive across  Mecklenburg-Vorpommern to Rostock. Poland was okay, my first-impression wasn't great as soon as we crossed the border we went from smooth Autobahn roads to bumpy streets and abandoned buildings which I mostly overlooked due to the new language and later learned that Poland has their own currency and doesn't use the Euro YET.
Throughout the 3 days we basically built the kitchen from scratch and then assembled tables, chairs and shelves which was pretty fun ( I love feeling like I'm doing something.) We also took a little time to see the Baltic Sea (Ost Sea) and eat some fresh fish (they just stick a cut fish in bread and hand it to you) but it tasted pretty good and the city setup and buildings along the harbor which flowed into a canal was very cool to see along with an old lighthouse. We also walked around the old Hanseatic City which was o.k but to me a bit disappointing for various reasons, however like every other city there is always some nice architecture posing through the ages.
The old harbor

I also had a little event at a gymnasium in Eastern Berlin that I attended and gave a little speech at (in Deutsch,) and this was a great experience. For one i'm on a political scholarship. 2.) It improves public speaking. and 3.) It helps me see how my language skills are progressing.

Today, I spent a few hours at a classmates house ( and his family was welcoming and his mom made some pretty darn good potato( Kartoffel) soup.) Afterwards we took the bus back into the city; They had theater and invited me to come check it out sometime. I also had ample time to stop by Potsdam's Oktoberfest ( a nice sized fair) and  buy a crape. I will try to go back and get in a game or to.
Crape to go

2 comments:

  1. Hey so happy to see that you are making a name for yourself! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete