Other Exchange Blogs

Saturday, May 3, 2014

I'm Back



Hello, and once again I would like to thank you for taking the time to check out my blog. I have been pretty occupied since my last post and here's why:

            Last week: I began going through my packing list for my Peru trip and I’m glad I decided to begin early because as usual I was missing a few items including, but not limited to:  gloves, wool socks, and out of all things sunscreen and bug-spray! I definitely don’t want to be sunburnt, so long as I can help it, and although it’s inevitable that I will get bitten by critters, I want some protection, especially from the pesky gnats and mosquitoes I am bound to encounter.

            Last Thursday: I had my Pulmonary Breathing Test which checked to make sure my lungs are healthy and in good condition for the high altitude I will be living in. During the test I had to breathe normally into a tube, then take the deepest breathe possible, hold it and then blow the air out as much as I could until I began to feel lightheaded. I repeated this 3 times. This was surprisingly quick, it was over within a few minutes.

            This Wednesday: I went to the doctors and after going through my shot records and comparing them to the CDC’s required and recommended shot list I was happy to hear I only needed three shots. I was informed that the high altitude and mountains are protecting me from mosquitoes that carry Yellow Fever and Malaria, which is comforting. I also received information about eating, drinking lots of water etc…

            Wednesday night: I attended my Boy Scouts meeting and had my Board of Review which is a meeting with the committee members where I am asked questions on my contribution to the troop, community service, and leadership; I am proud to announce I am now a Life Scout (next is Eagle Scout) which I am a few merit badges and an Eagle Project away from.

            Thursday: I received more information regarding my itinerary, leaders, FAQ, and Host Village, which happens to be tucked away on the slopes of the Andes with great views of snow-capped mountains including but not limited to Mt. Veronica a.k.a. Waka Wilga which stands at 19,100ft/5822m and is also in close proximity  to a few Ancient Inca ruins.


*By the way, did you know that Bats can transfer rabies without biting, or scratching people?

No comments:

Post a Comment